Perceive entitlement of property’s current proprietor earlier than shopping for

Handshakes with customer after contract signature (istockphoto)

I’m shopping for a built-up property, which has modified possession twice prior to now. What all paperwork ought to I insist on to make sure no authorized issues come up in future?


You might ask the proprietor or vendor to offer you all of the title paperwork of the property to know the title devolution and the entitlement of the vendor. To make sure that the property is freed from encumbrances, you may additionally test for the mutation entries, income information and seek for it within the workplace of the involved sub-registrar, the place the property is located. You might also publish a public discover earlier than executing the acquisition doc to make sure there aren’t any third celebration rights on the property.

My mom has inherited agricultural land alongside together with her brother and sister. I’m her solely son. My maternal uncle and aunt wish to switch their shares to me by way of a present deed. Is that potential? Are their different methods to do that?


We assume that the agricultural land is owned by your mom and your maternal uncle and aunt. Your maternal uncle and aunt, in the event that they wish to switch their respective undivided shares within the agricultural land in your favour, they’ll achieve this by duly executing and registering the reward deed.

Switch by means of a present deed often is the most acceptable approach in your case, however there are different modes too. A method is that your uncle and aunt execute a launch deed, whereby they’ll launch and relinquish their shares in favour of your mom and, thereafter, your mom can switch the identical in your favour by means of a will or a present deed.

My father died with no will. He has an ancestral property in his sole title. I’ve two sons and a daughter, whereas my brother has two daughters. How will the property be divided?

—T. Pant

In view of the restricted data out there, the topic property, although an ancestral one, when held by your father in his particular person title turns into his absolute property, which he inherited from his father or grandfather and loses the character of the ancestral property. As your father died intestate or with out forsaking a will, the property will devolve upon his Class I heirs, being his spouse (in case your mom remains to be alive) and youngsters equally, as per the Hindu Succession Act, 1956.

Aradhana Bhansali is accomplice, Rajani Associates. Queries and views at

Subscribe to Mint Newsletters

* Enter a sound electronic mail

* Thanks for subscribing to our publication.

By no means miss a narrative! Keep related and knowledgeable with Mint.
our App Now!!

Supply hyperlink

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *